Today Lion One introduces to the Fiji technical team Dickson Laptinen, a highly skilled and knowledgeable mining engineer with over 30 years’ experience in the development and operations of narrow vein mining projects across the Asia Pacific region.
Lion One CEO Wally Berukoff stated ”We’re elated to have Dickson Laptinen join our team in Fiji and are looking forward to working together at Tuvatu! Welcome to the team Dickson!”
Dickson’s mining career started in 1981 at the Padcal copper-gold mine near his hometown of Manila in the Philippines for the Philex Mining Company in 1981. By 1986 Dickson had already become the senior mining engineer at Padcal, and subsequently took on special assignments on other projects for Philex throughout the following decade. After leaving Philex in 1999 he enjoyed brief roles in the Philippines with Boma Exploration as an independent project reviewer (2000-2003) and Lepanto Consolidated where he was in charge of reviving copper production at the Lepanto mine in 2004.
In June 2004 Dickson relocated to the highlands of Papua New Guineau where he acted as Chief Surveyor and Mine Planner for three years at Barrick’s Kainantu Gold Mine. Following three years in PNG, Dickson joined the technical services group at Besra Gold where from 2007 to 2015 he supervised mine planning mine geology, resource planning, grade control, and contract services at two mines in Vietnam. Additionally he completed pit optimizations for three mines in Malaysia. Dickson returned to the Philippines in 2015 to work on the Mabilo joint venture where he developed the long range mine plan and managed operations for RTG Mining. He returned to Vietnam in 2016 to recommission two mines for Besra Gold.
Dickson was educated at Saint Louis University in Baguio City, Phillippines, where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering.
Qualifications/ Skills & Expertise
- Registered professional mining engineer with more than 30 years’ work experience in the mining industry mostly in developing new mining projects.
- Highly skilled in mine design, planning, and scheduling for UG and open pit mines.
- Underground mine design and detailed mine planning with hands-on experience in block caving, cut & fill, shrinkage, room & pillar and long-hole stoping
- Expert in using GEMS, Surpac, and Studio5 mine design software
- Pit Optimization using CAE NPVS, Pit Design using CAE Studio5 or VULCAN 9.1.2
- Equipment sizing and mining fleet productivity calculations and simulations
- Detailed Project Engineering (Scoping & feasibility studies, sensitivity analysis)
- Calculation and documentation of Mineral Reserves, NI-43-101 compliant
- Cost and financial modeling with multiple options and sensitivity analysis.
- Supervision & management of technical services groups (mine planning, mine geology, survey, grade control, resource management and mining contracts administration).
- Mine plans and budgets (Short Term, Long Term and LOM mine plans)
- Coaching and training of local engineers and staff.
Photo: Dickson Lapniten